June 10, 2013

Pesto

Kale-Pistachio Pesto
{original recipe from cooking stoned}

Do you ever make your own pesto? I grew up with a traditional Genovese style pesto that my mom would make with basil from her garden. It was not until recently that I began to experiment with other greens in pesto. If you are not yet totally over all of the kale hype, this is a brilliant use for kale. If you do not have pistachios on hand, I am pretty sure almonds or even pine nuts could make an apt substitute.


This pesto can be used in many ways. This was excellent with pasta and I can imagine this would make a great base for a white pizza or a fine addition to a grilled cheese sandwich. I also served a dollop of this with steamed asparagus, which made for a great pairing. How would you use this pesto?


ingredients:
3 large kale leaves, deveined
1/2 cup shelled pistachios, unsalted
3 cloves garlic
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt

1. rip the kale into smallish pieces

2. peel the garlic cloves

3. add all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment